About 15 percent of couples of childbearing age in Spain who want to have children have problems to get it. The causes of infertility are multiple, since the age of the parents, the decision to postpone motherhood for the benefit of other personal goals, genetic and hormonal disturbances or problems in sperm, among other reasons.
Today , technological advances and the wide range of fertility therapies on the market that favor many couples to achieve their dream. However, actions available to everyone, such as changing lifestyle can increase the chances of conceiving a child and that environmental or social factors may also diminish this ability, such as stress, obesity, the smoking or consumption of alcohol and foods containing chemicals.
“The moment we begin to ask ourselves a pregnancy is necessary to reduce stress levels and make some changes in diet, considering its positive effects on fertility begin to bear fruit after the third month”, says Ruben Bravo, nutritionist and naturopath spokesman European Medical Institute of Obesity (IMEO).
From IMEO they point out that in the daily consume foods with small doses of chemicals that can harm long – term quality of semen and eggs. Andrea Marquis, nutritionist recommends IMEO be careful with fruits and vegetables exposed to herbicides and pesticides; meat from animals that have been treated with hormones, such as chickens or cattle intensive growth; canned or packaged foods in plastic that may contain more traces of Bisphenol acts as an endocrine disrupter and interferes with the natural hormonal cycle.
On the other hand , stimulants such as caffeine and protein are discouraged by their possible adverse effects on the female reproductive system. In women with polycystic ovary syndrome it is essential to avoid insulin spikes in blood that can alter hormone balance and ovulation, therefore it is recommended to control the consumption of refined flour.
Guidelines to improve fertility
Marquis gives some tips to follow a balanced diet:
- Increase consumption of fruits and vegetables rich in antioxidants . The reason is that act degrading free radicals that can damage the eggs or sperm. The specialist points out the carrot, cranberry, tomatoes, broccoli or cauliflower.
- Increasing your intake of fatty acids omega – 3s through walnuts or bluefish . “These fatty acids in man help the sperm maturation and ovulation – stimulating women”, specifies.
- Include protein animal on the menu for its contribution of iron , because its deficiency is a symptom of infertility.
- It is also essential to have the appropriate level of calcium, for this specialist recommends consuming dairy daily. The milk semi – skimmed, yogurt and fresh cheese tender and help stimulate the reproductive system.
- Check that the levels of folic acid before and during pregnancy are adequate. Marquis warns that in men folic acid deficiency affects the number and mobility of sperm. It can be found in green leafy vegetables, whole grains and legumes. The consumption of eggs rich in choline helps for proper absorption.
- Include in your diet foods with aphrodisiac power, such as bananas, berries, black chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon or damiana leaves in infusion, could increase sexual desire and libido.
- Enhance male fertility with adequate contributions zinc, vitamin C and selenium. Zinc, which plays an essential role in the mobility of sperm to the egg arrival, abundant in fish, shellfish, eggs and dairy.
Vitamin C, found in citrus fruits and vegetables like tomatoes or kiwi, helps to remove traces of heavy metals that affect the quality of semen.
Selenium, found in whole grains and nuts, contributes to the production of testosterone and improves the quantity and quality of sperm.
On the other hand, some supplements like maca can increase testosterone levels and therefore the amount of useful sperm and sperm motility.
Debe estar conectado para enviar un comentario.